Monday, January 24, 2011

Three things I have learned

1. Cauliflower is considered a green leafy veggie
2. Mashed cauliflower does NOT taste like mashed potatoes but it is pretty good. (After I tried it about 5 times!!! It not only grew on me, I actually crave it!)-recipe below
3. I really CAN eat three non-starchy veggies in a meal and feel completely satisfied.

I admit number three was the hardest. I'm not a "good for you" veggie type of person. Sure, I have always enjoyed my potatoes, peas and corn, but none of those are high on the "eat as much as you want" list of vegetables! I never thought I'd be able to eat cauliflower, broccoli and lettuce in one meal AND take seconds on them! I have learned that reexposer really does help you learn to like things you thought you didn't. (I guess that would be number 4.)

Tonight's dinner:

Beef roast in the crockpot (sans the typical potatoes, carrots and onions I used to include in the crockpot), broccoli sauteed in coconut oil, mashed cauliflower and salad (I have mine plain-yep just good old naked romaine lettuce!). It was quite a tasty meal!

Mashed Cauliflower

Cook Cauliflower until soft and drain it well. Mix cauliflower, four ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, garlic seasoning of your choice, salt and pepper in a food processor and chop until you get a mashed potato consistency. Pour mixture in an oven proof dish and mix in cheddar cheese until your heart's content! Pop it in the oven on 425 until the cheese is melted and the edges of the cauliflower are browned and crispy. Sooooooooooo good!!!!

Nope, not low fat, but it doesn't matter and THAT is an entirely different post! :)

1 comment:

  1. Holy Cauliflower, batman! I didn't realize it was considered a green leafy veggie. Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete